Saturday, March 21, 2009

Black Diamond Hike

Today's hike was at the Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve in Antioch.  There were several small towns in the area at one time & they mined coal & sand, took them down to the port in Pittsburg, & transported them up the river to Sacramento & other places inland.  The website has a lot more info.
This kind of reminded me of some of the places Daddy used to take us on vacation!  There was a group about to go in but we didn't get there in time to buy tickets.  Anyway, we came to hike today!
Here's me & my hiking sticks.  Good for pulling me up the hill, stopping me when I'm sliding down, keeping my balance, & fighting off wild chipmunks.
Of course, we had to take a picture of ourselves.  
It kept getting colder & windier (supposed to start raining later today) & by the time we got up to the cemetery, it was REALLY cold!  I wonder why the cemetery was at the top of the hill?

Hey, SE, look what I found!  It's springtime!!!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This upcoming deal with Lauren is really showing up on Glenn, isn't it? lol

onemotherslove said...

Oh, that was low, Alan... Sissy - I love those last 3 photos!

Grandpa said...

We just missed the mine tour when we stayed in Antioch.

Unknown said...

it looks like a great hike! i can't wait til it's warm enough (and dry enough) here in toronto so that i can get out as well.

Anonymous said...

umm.... I didn't intend it as such.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...