Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Story of My New Chair

I'm going to make a short story long.... :-) Glenn has been having back problems for a while and he thinks part of the problem is our couch. It has lots of soft, fluffy pillows all over it. And, he love mid-century modern furniture. So we've been on the lookout for chairs & a new sofa. Meanwhile, we were doing our back-to-school shopping last week and L & I got distracted by a sign that said "HUGE Garage Sale". You know how that goes. When we pulled up this yellow chair stood out to me. But the closer I got to it, the dirtier it looked. The price tag said, "1961 Leather Chair $15". But we bought the 2 chairs behind it in the photo and something to ship down to Aunt Sue & David, too, and got a deal -- all for $20! For that price I'd take a chance that it wouldn't clean. Here's what it looked like after we cleaned the back section:


Cleaning that made the rest of it look even dirtier! I wish Blogsvertise would ask me to write about Mr. Clean Magic Eraser! That's what I used to clean this. The box said it could be used on leather shoes so I though I'd try it. We kept saying over & over, "I can't believe this...", "Look at that...." It was pretty amazing!


If you know anything about this chair please let me know. I'd like to know if it was really made in 1961. There are two tags on the bottom. One says "Property of Wells Fargo" and the other says "Knoll." I couldn't find anything exactly like it online, but did find similar chairs made by Knoll and designed by Saarinen. They all had metal legs, though. I like the wood much better.



Disgusting, huh? So next time you see a dirty chair at a garage sale, go ahead and give it a try.

Once it was clean Glenn has been sitting in it every night! Lauren has some great photos for the letter "L" but they're on her computer. I'll try to get them up tomorrow.

3 comments:

Betty said...

Wow! What a deal! I love that magic eraser. I use it all over the house. Too bad I couldn't magically erase my boys rooms clean. LOL

onemotherslove said...

WOW! Yep, that Magic Eraser will clean just about anything... works great on crayon!

ThatBeeGirl said...

oh, i'm in love with that chair! what a steal!
(followed a link from flickr)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...