Monday, August 15, 2011

Books Should Be Made of Paper

Photo courtesy of Carmen Moreno.
 For as long as I can remember I have loved reading books.  I still have books that my parents read to me when I was little, many of my childrens' picture books, the Little House on the Prairie series that we each read 4-5 times, my own favorites that I love enough to read again, and LOTS of books that I'm saving for my nieces, nephews, and future grandchildren.  We are still a book-loving familly (Glenn read 6 books just last week!)... but now there is a conflict.  My husband has an ipad and has discovered ibooks!  He loves them but there's something disturbing about that trend to me.

Photo courtesy of http://selinalake.blogspot.com/.

I think it reminds me of Star Trek.   Much of our technology seems to be beyond what they had now!  But remember how Captain Kirk had an antique book and pair of reading glasses?  

I heard recently that Amazon.com now sells more ebooks that physical books.    And our Borders recently closed.  I'm guessing because people aren't buying books anymore.  Where am I going to sit and read and drink coffee now?  

Well, I'm still buying books!  And reading them.  And decorating with them.  I'm sharing some of my favorite book photos from Pinterest.  Don't just leave your books on the shelf.  Stack them on tables or the floor, lay them on the coffee table,  open them to your favorite part...

As you saw in a recent post, I'll have some books available for sale on my shelves at Room With a Past next week.  There are some great titles for teachers!  This photo below was one of my favorites.  Reminds me of when I used to read paperbacks in the tub and they'd get all soggy.  You can't do that with an ipad!  :-)

I'll leave you with a quote from Ray Bradbury and let you make up your own mind about ebooks/ibooks, ‎"(in response to Kindle) Those aren’t books. You can’t hold a computer in your hand like you can a book. A computer does not smell. There are two perfumes to a book. If a book is new, it smells great. If a book is old, it smells even better. It smells like ancient Egypt. A book has got to smell. You have to hold it in your hands and pray to it. You put it in your pocket and you walk with it. And it stays with you forever. But the computer doesn’t do that for you. I’m sorry."  

Photo from kohler.com

1 comment:

Suzie Button said...

Hi. I just found your lovely blog via green craft magazine. Your fantastic ruler jewelry instantly caught my eye! I agree on the book discussion too. I adore a huge pile of books all messy beside my bed. It makes me relax to see all the reading possibilities in arm reach! I have to admit too though that I do and will always keep a book bag of books for my 2 year old grand daughter, but I recently got the iPad and their app books that are interactive are fantastic. I suppose a mix isn't a bad choice either. I'll be back to read more of your blog soon! Susan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...